Friday, February 6, 2015

6 Months Down

  
{my favorite spot on campus}
     Today officially marks six months since we created One More Saturday, which is something I’m so excited about. Before Alana and I began the blog, we were so full of ideas and inspiration for what this project was going to be like, but school, internships, and social lives have definitely gotten in the way of us meeting our goals. Regardless, I’m still pretty happy with what this blog has helped me do and even more so, I’m hopeful for the future and for what our blog can become. I definitely have a lot of goals, both for this blog and in general and I think that OMS can help Alana and me achieve them. 
      I also push myself to remember that at the end of the day, this blog isn’t simply a vessel for us to get from Point A to Point B; it's an outlet that allows us to be expressive and appreciative of both the big and small aspects of our daily lives and it’s a way for us to honestly have fun with photography and the written word.
      That being said, here are some things that I’ve loved and learned as a result of these past six months:
 {summer sunset from my bedroom window}
  • Photography: A huge highlight of this blog is that it has coincided with my first trip to Europe and my first photography course. Both of these have been huge opportunities to take better photos and I love having an outlet on which I can post some of these highlights.
{London streets}
  • Writing: I initially started this blog because I wanted to write more and I need a space that would allow (and sometimes even force) me to do so. However, what I didn’t expect to find was a return to the feeling I had while being a part of the the newspaper in high school. I didn’t realize how much I missed it, and it’s nice to have a similar outlet, especially since it’s one that is so flexible and more of a reflection of myself and my interests.
{sunbathing in Fort Lauderdale}
{graffiti in Miami}
  • Friends and family: So many people in my life have been incredibly supportive in the creation of this blog. This little website is a labor of love and I think about it daily in terms of what my goals are and how I want to achieve them. To the friends, family, and other readers who check out our posts and share them with others, I am so, so grateful for you. You guys keep me going and make me feel like Alana and I aren’t the only people who care about OMS. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
 {work in progress}
  • Self-reliance: Full disclosure, this blog stresses me out sometimes. I’m perpetually guilty of not posting often enough and there are so many areas in which I want to make progress that I simply haven’t made yet. Alana and I want to build readership, both in general and beyond a network of friends and family, and although it’s scary knowing that it’s just the two of us trying to make that happen, it’s kind of exciting at the same time. Instead of making me anxious and afraid to fail, the responsibility pushes me to keep trying and to continuously try harder. It’s kind of empowering and exciting and makes me value the small successes that much more.
 {highlights from an impromptu monument run}
  • The little things: I’m huge on appreciating the smaller things in life and showing gratitude for what you've got. Looking back on my posts, they all reflect things that have made me happy, whether it be a concert or a vacation or just a simple break from my routine. I am happy to look back on this blog as a journal of highlights from the past six months, and instead of the complaints and anxieties that are often the focus of my actual journal entries, these blog posts serve as a reminder that I am fortunate and have amazing people in my life. Six months ago, Alana and I explained the origin of this blog’s name and looking back, each post has indeed been a reminder that I really do have one more Saturday. And I’ll be damned if I don’t make the most of them.
~ V

No comments:

Post a Comment