Monday, February 16, 2015

My "Vagina Monologues" Experience


{Mel, me, and Laura after our last show}       
      Last year, I saw my first production of Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues and loved it. So I decided right then and there to audition for the show for the following year. I always get overly nervous before any type of audition and halfway convince myself not to try out. Luckily, I’m pretty good at tuning myself out when necessary, and thank God for that.
      Performing this past weekend was incredible. I loved being onstage, of course, but what was just as cool was being backstage and listening to all these girls perform. I was in awe of how brave these women were, how open and willing they were to read and perform pieces that were sometimes heavy or embarrassing. It was amazing to hear them perform and it was even cooler that I was one of them.
{obligatory opening night snapchats}
      Along with two amazing girls Laura and Mel (check out her blog!), I performed “Say It.” The show was fantastic, thanks to our incredible directors. And I was so grateful for all my friends and family who came out to see me on that stage for about two short minutes just to show their support. I am reminded so often that I have incredible, kind-hearted, and thoughtful people in my life and I am just so thankful for them and to the show for reminding me of that. If you’ve never seen a production of The Vagina Monologues, I definitely encourage you to do so. If you have, I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below! :)
~ V

No comments:

Post a Comment